Below is the list of councillors that make up the Hindolveston Parish Council. It should be noted that the Chair and Vice Chair are elected at the Annual Parish Council Meeting in May and hold office for one year at a time. Elections for members are held every 4 years with the next elections in May 2019. Where vacancies arise between elections, it is possible for the Council to co-opt new members at council meetings. Members can resign at any time, that is to say there is no minimum period of office.
Hindolveston is entitled to 7 councillors including the Chair and Vice Chair. Councillors are expected to attend all the regular Parish Council meetings but reasonable excuses for absence (in the form of apologies) can be accepted by the Council when commitments prevent attendance.
Trevor Leeder. T: (local) 861226. Last elected to Chair in May 2017.
Mary Walsh. T: (local) 861664. Last elected to Vice Chair in May 2017.
Chip Davison T: (local) 860575. Last elected in May 2014.
Zara Leeder T: (local) 861226. Co-opted in May 2015.
Hazel Carter T: (local) 860012. Co-opted in October 2016.
Phil Brown m: 07830 245266. Co-opted in October 2016.
Wayne Bowditch T: (local) 860841. Co-opted in May 2017.
Responsibilities and Subsidiary Roles
A number of roles and subsidiary duties are carried out by members of the village in support of the community. The list below indicates the assignment of personnel to these various roles. Those names marked * are not councillors but the individuals have agreed to assist the Parish Council. Those marked with ** are paid for their services.
- Speed Indictor Device (SID) Managers: Phil Brown, Wayne Bowditch (see SID policy)
- Risk assessment of structures including street lights: Mary Walsh and Hazel Carter
- Dog waste collection monitoring: Neil Gladwell*
- Health and Safety Checks of allotments: Mary Walsh, Hazel Carter and Chip Davison
- Weekly written check of Playground apparatus: Mary Walsh
- Millennium Pavilion
- Key-holders: Trevor Leeder (and Lisa Chapman** – cleaner)
- Bookings officer: Trevor and Rosie Leeder*
- Maintenance checks (building, fire extinguishers, first aid kit): Trevor Leeder
- Youth Club liaison: Mary Walsh, Hazel Carter and Wayne Bowditch
- Weekly check of defibrillator at the Village Hall: Tim Walsh*
- Website manager: Phil Brown (see website management policy)
- Newsletter editor: Mary Walsh; layout administrator: Dave Carter*
- Bank signatories: Trevor Leeder, Mary Walsh, Phil Brown
- Internal account checker: Trevor Leeder
- Planning Advisory Group: all parish councillors (see planning protocol)
- Promoter of lotteries (for the sale of raffle tickets etc): Peter Patten* (Trevor Leeder and Mary Walsh are authorized to check the financial returns).
- Internal Auditor (an external position): Stafford Snell**
Parish Council Clerk
Little Manor, Thursford Rd, Little Snoring, Fakenham NR21 0JN
T: 01328 822366 e: firstname.lastname@example.org
Code of Conduct
The Localism Act 2011 requires all local councils to adopt a code of conduct for its members and to have a register of members’ interests. The code must comply with the seven Nolan principles of Public Life – selflessness, objectivity, accountability, openness, honesty, integrity and leadership. Hindolveston Parish Council formally adopted the Code of Conduct on 20th September 2012.
It takes all sorts!!!
Although the council does not have a vacancy at the moment, seats do become vacant periodically! If you are interested in becoming a councillor but you are not sure whether you have the right background or how your skills/ experience might assist the council, then take a look at It Takes All Sorts published by the National Association of Local Councils. Another useful publication for all potential councillors and those that are serving is the Good Councillors Guide 2017.
Hindolveston is like any other small village in that it relies on the support provided by local people giving up some of their free time for the community as a whole.